Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Gate Fold Valentine's Day Card

This is the second card we made at our tri-fold card class this weekend.


The card base (Real Red) is 5 1/2 x 11.  Score 2 1/8" from each end to make the fold.  The basic black layer is cut at 4 1/8 x 5 3/8 cut in half vertically (at 2 1/16).  The card front (crumb cake) is cut 4 x 5 1/4.  I stamped the crumb cake using the hardwood stamp inked with crumb cake ink.  AFTER I stamped it, I cut it in half (at 2).  Before attaching the layers, I sponged the edges of the black layer with whisper white craft ink.  When I attached that layer to the card base, it brought it right up to the center opening of the "gate" so  that there is only a border along the top  and outer sides.  Then I attached the card front the same way. 

I punched out two banners using the banner punch in basic black.  I sponged the edged with whisper white craft ink.  The outer circle (Real Red) was punched using the 1 3/8" circle punch.  the inner circle (Crumb Cake) was punched using the 1 1/4" circle punch.  The sentiment was stamped in Real Red ink.  After I assembled that sentiment, I lined up the black banner punches on the back of it so some of the banner appeared on the top of the circle, and some appeared on the bottom.  The  sentiment comes from the Something to Say stamp set.  The inside of the card has the coordinating sentiment -- the outside says "big way, small ways" and the inside says "love you always".  I did layer a piece of whisper white cardstock (cut at 4 x 5 1/4) on the inside of the card.

The hearts (Real Red) were punched out using the Sweetheart punch. I sponged Basic Black along the edges of the hearts and then added the white definition with a gel pen.  To make the banner in the corner,   The heart on the left side is attached flat to the card.  The other heart was attached using Stampin Dimensionals, taking close care of where they are attached.  One is attached at the outer edge of the heart, and the other is attached very closely to it.  The goal is to have the flat heart sit behind the raised heart when the card is closed so that the card stays shut.

I think this makes a great masculine Valentine's Day card, and I'm sure my husband will LOVE it!

As always, please email me if you have any questions about this card.

No comments:

Post a Comment