Sunday, May 1, 2016

May Blogging Friends Blog Hop - Retiring Products



Welcome to another month of creativity on the Blogging Friends Blog Hop!  This month's theme was "retiring products."  We each picked one of the retiring products that we will be sad to see go. So, sit back, relax and enjoy hopping from blog to blog and checking out all the great projects!

While I'm sad to see many of the great products retire, I think I am most saddened about the Swallowtail stamp.  I think that stamp is such an elegant stamp.  I love its large size, its intricate detail, and the endless possibilities!

The first project I did was a scrapbook layout.  My husband and I have just entered the empty nest stage of our  lives (although the girls do come back periodically and they are ALWAYS welcome!).  As most couples these days, we worked very hard to provide for the girls and to ensure that they had all that they needed (and usually wanted).  Now it's about us and we're trying to carve out time to do "us" things.  This is a picture we took as we walked along a boardwalk in New Bedford at the end of a weekend that started with an overnight stay in a lighthouse, then followed by a visit to the infamous Lizzie Borden house, and then topped off with a tour of three more lighthouses in New Bedford.



The background paper is Night of Navy.  I made the patterned paper using Very Vanilla stamped randomly with most of the stamps from the Timeless Textures set.  I randomly  placed the stamps on a large acrylic block and stamped around the page, then I went back and filled in any "holes" with more stamping. I used Smoky Slate ink for that. I made the flowers using the Petite Petals stamp set punched out with the coordinating punch. The leaves were punched using the Bird Builder punch (which is another retiring product). The tag was made using the Ornate Tag Topper punch (which is also retiring).  The other colors on the layout are So Saffron and Blushing Bride.  I used a bit of Victorian Lace to add some dimension.  I stamped the Swallowtail using Smoky Slate and then colored it using sponge daubers in Blushing Bride and So Saffron.  I die cut it using the Swallowtail die made by Dies by Dave. (Email for his contact info).

My favorite part of this layout (other than the memories, of course) is the quote.  It reads:  "The butterfly counts not months, but moments, and has time enough."  It reinforces, to me, that there is enough time in the day/week/month/year to spend making special moments; we are not "too busy" to  carve out  special moments for ourselves and to spend with those we love.

This next project is a simple card, yet it looks so elegant.  I love embossing, and the Swallowtail stamp is perfect for that.


The base of the card is Smokey Slate; the middle layer is Very Vanilla, and the front is Blackberry Bliss (which is also retiring, sadly).  I stamped the Swallowtail using Versamark ink, applied white embossing powder and heat set.  I wrapped some Blackberry Bliss ribbon around the top two layers, and added a few pearls for dimension.  Quick, easy, and elegant.  My kind of card!

I have used this stamp in many classes and on many cards.  For more project ideas, please check out my Swallowtail board on Pinterest.

Like I said, there are many stamps and products that I will be sad to see go with the end of this catalog period, but there are so many wonderful new products that are coming.  I am looking forward to finding more "favorites" to add to my stash!

I'd love to know which stamp set you are most sad to see go!

I hope you will continue on to the other blogs on this hop to see some great inspiration and creativity. To continue on with the blog, click on this icon, or click on the names of the bloggers on the list below the icon. I hope you enjoy your hop!



Crystal
Anna - You are Here
Libby
Anne
Mary
Danica
Deborah
Jessica
Jodi
Leanne
Michelle
Lorene
Mary Ann
Tammy
Rick
Lisa

12 comments:

  1. Oh, how I have always loved that Swallowtail. I can't believe it's going. I love how you embossed it in white on the Blackberry. So, so elegant! xo Crystal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Crystal! I really will miss this stamp!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful projects, Anna! I love your scrapbook page and your card and I'm so sad to say goodbye to this stamp, too! It is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This stamp is a favorite of so many of my customers!

      Delete
  3. Hi Anna! You have such beautiful projects. I love how you pieced to together the scrapbook layout, not only with the photo, but the quote as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jodi! I really enjoyed putting the layout together!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful projects, Anna! How wonderful that you're scrapbooking your memories - and doing it so well! I've always loved the Swallowtail stamp, and love it in white on the Blackberry Bliss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! Scrapbooking was my first paper addiction. I try to get back to it as often as I can!

      Delete
  5. The embossed butterfly is stunning Anna. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful projects Anna! A favorite of mine also! TFS!

    ReplyDelete