Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Day 22 of 30 Days of New Catalog Projects - A Very Special Layout

Today's project has just a touch of a new product in it -- the frame from the Artist's Palette set, and a sentiment/banner from Thoughtful Banners.  I entered this layout  in a "food" challenge at scrapbook.com.  This layout has a story of it's own, which is journaled on the back of the page.

You  see, I always host Christmas dinner, and my mother always makes the homemade pasta for the meal-- after she hosts a very large Christmas Eve dinner the night before.  It's a wonderful tradition that everyone looks forward to.  Although she makes pasta frequently, having homemade manicotti or ravioli for Christmas dinner is always a special treat.

This year was a bit different.  Mom was at the lowest point in her illness and her treatments were really kicking her butt.  When it came time to plan the Christmas dinner menu, I told my husband that we would have to forego the homemade pasta and stray from tradition because mom clearly could not do it, and I was just too busy with the holiday hustle and bustle and taking care of mom, on top of working full time.  I just didn't have it in me.  My gem of a husband stepped up to the plate and said not to worry -- he  would help me make the pasta so we could have as normal a Christmas dinner as possible for my mom, hoping it would cheer her spirits.  Hubby worked the third shift the night before and come home from work at 8:00 a.m.  He wasted no time when he came home in helping me roll out and fill the manicotti.  We had left over pasta and he took it upon himself to make it into spaghetti so we could have it on hand for a quick dinner when needed.  Of course, mom was so touched that her son-in-law made the pasta for her -- and it did meet her approval.  Yup, he's a keeper!

Fortunately, mom made a great turn around, and is getting better every day. She's even made homemade pasta for her special son-in-law a couple of times!

When I was at CKC a few years back, I saw the paper with the pasta and the rolling pins on them.  Being Italian, I just knew that I would have occasion to use it eventually -- and I sure did!



I used the frame from the Artist's Palette set -- stamped in Delightful Dijon (which looks just like the color of homemade pasta) on Whisper White.  I die cut the frames using the new square framelits.  The frames were placed on the layout to highlight what was important --  hubby at work, and the two types of pasta he made.  I tied a small bit of Delightful Dijon lace ribbon on the sides of each of the frames.  For embellishments, I used some retired washi tape from the Epic Day collections to make a corner frame for the pictures.  I also stamped the word "Fabulous" from the Thoughtful Banners set, punched out with the Duet Banner and placed that near hubby's picture.

Cardstock:  Calypso Coral, Whisper White, Very Vanilla
Stamp Set: Artist's Palette, Thoughtful Banners
Ink:  Delightful Dijon
Punch: Duet Banner
Framelits: Squares
Washi Tape: Epic Day (retired)

Please check back tomorrow for another project!

Happy Stampin'!
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment